Skip to main content

A CLEANING SCHEDULE FOR BUSY MOMS

It's the first Monday in April and I couldn't think of a better time to get back on track with my cleaning schedule after a dreary couple of Minnesota months. I don't know about you but after Christmas it is easy for me to fall into survival mode. I do the bare minimum in housework and ignore the dust in favor of another Netflix show and a new crochet project. It leads to a downward spiral of feeling yucky about how my house looks and going through the motions is not how I want to live!

Last week the kids and I took made a 1,000 mile journey to a number of MN State Parks we hadn't hiked at yet. It was great to get some fresh air after a long winter and spend quality time together.

We hiked almost 9 miles - including over the headwaters of the Mississippi!


We returned from that trip with fresh eyes and fresh resolve to get our home back into shape so when the weather gets nice we can dash out the door to ride bikes, take the pup for a walk, or get dirty in the garden without feeling like we are escaping the mess, but released from it!

It really is my own doing that I've got this mess to clean up in the first place because I know what I have to do to stay on top of everything. Back when we moved into this house in 2014 I developed a cleaning schedule that met all the criteria I was looking for.

If the following applies to you as well then you've come to the right place:

  • Doesn't take more than 10-20 minutes per day
  • Eliminates 'spring cleaning' type chores because they are built into the schedule
  • Keeps clutter at bay - even your kids rooms get a deep clean once a month!
  • House is cleaned top to bottom every month - no grime build up on appliances or baseboards
  • Includes storage spaces like the garage and basement
  • House is company ready by the weekend 
That last one is one of the reasons I made my own schedule and didn't pick one of the many others on Pinterest. I tried and tried to make others work, but I felt like when we got to the weekend when we usually have company I would have to vacuum and clean the bathrooms again. Of course there is always daily tidying and wiping down of surfaces involved in any home people actually LIVE in, but I'm talking about the more involved cleaning tasks - I didn't like having to repeat them on Saturday morning so we could welcome company into a clean home.

One thing you'll notice is that I don't list laundry more than once a week. How is that possible in a house with five people? It is because we have an awesome washing machine (LG without an agitator) and it is located right by the bathroom with the shower in it. Our new washer holds three times what our old one did so I only wash 1-2 loads of clothes per week and only when it gets full. I incorporate towels and bedding in an every other week cycle as you'll see in the headings for each week. I also have a 12 and a 10 year old that put their own clean clothes away which helps a lot! The 5 year old can do everything but reach the hangers so she's responsible for the items that go in her dresser.





Below is what works for our household*.

* We have 900 square feet of living space upstairs and about 300 square feet in our basement.




Four bedrooms and 2 bathrooms (one with a toilet and tub and one with a toilet and shower)




We have an attached two car garage, a unheated portion of the basement, a very narrow laundry room that also has our furnace and water heater in it. The laundry room leads to the summer kitchen for storing all the things we preserve from our garden. It has a refrigerator and a stove in there as well.









TOWEL WEEK




 Monday 




 o GARAGE




o ORGANIZE ONE DRAWER




o LINEN CLOSET




o APPLIANCES (wipe oven)




o PAPERWORK




 Tuesday: 




 o LAUNDRY ROOM




o SWEEP




o MOP




 Wednesday




 o BATHROOMS




o PUT OUT TRASH




 Thursday 




o TRASH DAY




o _______ ROOM




o HANDLES




o LIGHT SWITCHES




 Friday




 o DUST




o VACUUM




Saturday




 o LAUNDRY

 BEDDING WEEK

Monday

o FRIDGE/FREEZER





o ORGANIZE PROJECT





o LIGHT FIXTURES





o PAPERWORK


Tuesday

o SUMMER KITCHEN





o SWEEP





o MOP


Wednesday

o BATHROOMS





o PUT OUT TRASH

Thursday

o TRASH DAY





o ________'s BEDROOM





o HANDLES





o LIGHT SWITCHES


Friday

o DUST





o VACUUM (COUCHES)


Saturday


o LAUNDRY





oTOWEL WEEK


Monday

o PANTRY





o ORGANIZE





o WINDOWS





o PAPERWORK

Tuesday


o LAUNDRY ROOM





o SWEEP





o MOP


Wednesday

o BATHROOMS





o PUT OUT TRASH


Thursday


o TRASH DAY





o _________'s BEDROOM





o HANDLES





o LIGHT SWITCHES


Friday

o DUST (BASEBOARDS)





o VACUUM


Saturday


o LAUNDRY





o DEEP CLEAN VAN


BEDDING WEEK


Monday

o CLOSETS





o CABINETS





o CLEAN BLINDS





o PAPERWORK





Tuesday

o BASEMENT





o SWEEP





o MOP


Wednesday

o BATHROOMS





o PUT OUT TRASH


Thursday

o TRASH DAY





o HANDLES





o ORGANIZE PROJECT





o LIGHT SWITCHES


Friday

o DUST





o VACUUM/VACUUM FILTER


Saturday

o LAUNDRY


Sunday

o PUT OVEN CLEANER IN OVEN

After I dropped the kids off at school I didn't allow myself to get distracted with anything else but went right to the Clorox wipe container so I could get our appliances sparkling clean. From there I spent a couple minutes tidying up the garage (Full disclosure: It's 40 and raining outside which means our garage is FREEZING so you wouldn't know I did a single thing in the garage if you stopped by today BUT I know I did something. The shoes are back on the shelf, garbage is picked up, and some winter boots have been tossed out of the way of foot traffic.) That's the thing folks....every little bit helps and it makes the tasks shorter and shorter each time.

Case in point: Paperwork. It's a Monday task and every time I put it off the pile on my desk gets bigger and bigger, but when I am diligent about going through the big white envelope where I tuck everything that arrives during the week it only takes a few minutes to file things away, write out a check or two, and add a few events to my calendar. A few minutes a week is WAY less of a hassle than the hour it will take me to find the surface of my grandpa's big 'ol desk! As a bonus when that desk is clear nobody else is tempted to drop their stuff on it either. Everyone wins!  Speaking of which...if you struggle with constantly picking up after your kids and wondering if they will EVER learn to pick up after themselves check out this post on how I eliminated the nagging and hassle of an organized chore chart system.

I would be happy to email you a copy of the cleaning schedule if you don't want to copy and paste the list from this post. Just send me a message at campgroundcubs@gmail.com with 'cleaning schedule' in the heading!

Happy cleaning!!!






Pin It

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"How can I help?"

So many have asked how they can help MckMama and her family during this difficult time and so I've set up a Care Calendar to help coordinate meals for the family. MckMama is coordinating childcare on her end, but you can contact me for the rest. Please leave me a comment in this message and I will contact you with more information on the Care Calendar as soon as I am able. Please be sure I can get in touch with you through your blog and/or an email address. Thank you for covering my dear friend and her family with prayers!

Elsa's Birth Story

The morning of July 1st started out like all the other mornings this summer. The kids let me sleep until 7:30 and then came in to wake me up. We ate breakfast and I started picking up around the house. We had spent the previous day at the town pool and because the heat index was going to be just as high again we made plans to go to our beach. The kids really wanted to practice their swimming skills but I didn't want to have to pay for the pool again. At 8:30 I lost my mucus plug and my brain started running a mile a minute. Could this mean we're getting close? Could I actually go early for a change?I turned to Google and learned that labor could be hours or days away. I feel I should warn you - if you decide to Google mucus plug be prepared to see photographic proof. Why people felt the need to post pictures to Google images is beyond me!  Moving on..... Just in case I ended up being one of the lucky ones who only had hours to wait until labor started I kept up with my clean

Shabby Apple Giveaway!

Spring is in the air and that means it's time to start thinking about changing over our closets from Winter to Spring. I don't know about you, but that also means it's time to look for a few new pieces to bring new life to what I wear year after year. Today I can make that job a little more fun for you because Shabby Apple is sponsoring a giveaway on my blog! Yeah!!!! I had so much fun looking through their collection of women's dresses and don't even get me started on their adorable line of little girl's dresses ! It's a whole new ballgame for me now that I'm going to have TWO girls to dress. In the end I decided to pick this beauty called Azure Coast to giveaway to one lucky reader because us mom's are always buying things for our kids before ourselves. I just might have to pick up one for myself in time to wear for BabyBear's baptism this summer. It's perfect for nursing moms! Want to win one for yourself? See below , but if you d