Skip to main content

Signing Time with Elsa


We used baby sign language with Sam and Julia (more, please, all done, sorry, bath....) but not nearly as much as we have with Elsa. With more experience under my belt I knew that this time I wanted to be more proactive in helping Elsa communicate with us. Sam didn't talk until he was two and I wanted to be prepared in case that happened with Elsa too.



A huge reason why she has a 50+ sign vocabulary is the video series called Signing Time that we get from our local library.

There are some libraries in our county that don't carry any of the videos so I feel very fortunate that we only have to travel 5 miles to bring this wonderful teaching tool into our home. We primarily use series 1 videos but Grandma Gayle got Elsa a series 2 one called, My Favorite Seasons. The reviews just weren't good enough for series 2 to justify buying all 14 of the second ones to watch whenever we wanted. After 6 months of watching the first 9 videos they don't hold Elsa's attention as well but they have served their purpose and have helped our whole family learn lots of signs.

Elsa can tell us what she wants.

That is worth repeating.

She can tell us what she wants.

Since her spoken vocabulary of words that she uses without prompting is zero that means without signing we wouldn't have such a mellow little girl. I can only imagine how frustrated she would become and how many outbursts there would be either at home or in public. Being able to tell us what she wants and getting it is two different things so we aren't completely meltdown free, but over all it has been wonderful to have a language we all can speak.

For posterity, here is a list of the words she signs without prompting as of today, her 18 month birthday. There are lots more she is happy to repeat, but we wait until she says them on her own before we add them to the list. One added note: We chose name signs for Sam and Julia, probably not like you are suppose to, but we aren't part of a deaf community where we could duplicate name signs - a huge no-no.


please
Daddy
Sam
Julia
color
cousin
apple
thirsty
nurse
night-night
change
hot
cold
kangaroo
horse
cow
frog
sheep
fish
butterfly
monkey
bird
dirty
help
bath
shoes
hungry
eat
car
penguin
book
pig
bug
cat
dog
banana
chicken
bear
tiger
all done
baby
reindeer
tree
flower
clean up
school
Elsa
crocodile
mouse
baby
donkey
Jesus
wash hands
bubbles
cereal
hat


In the second photo she is signing 'banana' - one of her favorite foods. For those of you who know sign language, you can tell she isn't using the correct finger as the banana but it doesn't matter. Like when a child learns to speak and says a word differently - we as the parent simply repeat it back correctly (the banana is suppose to be the pointer finger) and move on. 

Some of my favorite moments with Elsa in the past six months have been sitting in church signing back and forth what we see and helping her find whatever it is that will help her stay quiet during the sermon. We love visiting the zoo too because she knows so many animal signs.
Books are even more fun to look at because she can sign the things she sees and not just point to them.

It will be interesting to see where the next six months takes us in our signing with Elsa! I know that I am anxiously awaiting for her to figure out how to hold her middle and ring finger down so she can sign "I love you!" back to me.

Do you sign with your little ones? What are some resources that you found helpful?


Comments

  1. That Is Cute Carrie. I Wish That I Had Taught Lily How To Sign. Great Job Teaching All Of Your Kids How To Sign. Awesome Job! Auntie Kara

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"How can I help?"

So many have asked how they can help MckMama and her family during this difficult time and so I've set up a Care Calendar to help coordinate meals for the family. MckMama is coordinating childcare on her end, but you can contact me for the rest. Please leave me a comment in this message and I will contact you with more information on the Care Calendar as soon as I am able. Please be sure I can get in touch with you through your blog and/or an email address. Thank you for covering my dear friend and her family with prayers!

Elsa's Birth Story

The morning of July 1st started out like all the other mornings this summer. The kids let me sleep until 7:30 and then came in to wake me up. We ate breakfast and I started picking up around the house. We had spent the previous day at the town pool and because the heat index was going to be just as high again we made plans to go to our beach. The kids really wanted to practice their swimming skills but I didn't want to have to pay for the pool again. At 8:30 I lost my mucus plug and my brain started running a mile a minute. Could this mean we're getting close? Could I actually go early for a change?I turned to Google and learned that labor could be hours or days away. I feel I should warn you - if you decide to Google mucus plug be prepared to see photographic proof. Why people felt the need to post pictures to Google images is beyond me!  Moving on..... Just in case I ended up being one of the lucky ones who only had hours to wait until labor started I kept up with my clean

Shabby Apple Giveaway!

Spring is in the air and that means it's time to start thinking about changing over our closets from Winter to Spring. I don't know about you, but that also means it's time to look for a few new pieces to bring new life to what I wear year after year. Today I can make that job a little more fun for you because Shabby Apple is sponsoring a giveaway on my blog! Yeah!!!! I had so much fun looking through their collection of women's dresses and don't even get me started on their adorable line of little girl's dresses ! It's a whole new ballgame for me now that I'm going to have TWO girls to dress. In the end I decided to pick this beauty called Azure Coast to giveaway to one lucky reader because us mom's are always buying things for our kids before ourselves. I just might have to pick up one for myself in time to wear for BabyBear's baptism this summer. It's perfect for nursing moms! Want to win one for yourself? See below , but if you d