Skip to main content

[Halloween] Party Prep

Last year we threw our first Halloween Bash and while I took lots of pictures I only shared a photo of PapaBear's hilarious pumpkin carving display. I found lots of DIY Halloween crafts online & thought I'd share them now since the only decorations I'm putting out this year are our pumpkins from our straw bale garden.

We haven't ever really decorated for Halloween before so I was starting from scratch. With a very small budget we managed to make our big ol' house party worthy. I used lots of black card stock for bats, mice on the stairs (#8), cat silhouette, and the silly toilet monster (#2).  I also stretched a package of brown paper lunch bags pretty far. We gave out paper bag brooms as prizes for games (#11) (dangling doughnuts, scavenger hunt, Halloween bingo), used them to wrap up drinks for the dice game which is always a big hit, and used them for collecting items for the scavenger hunt. I wrote "Happy Halloween" on the front of the bag and teams had to collect something that started with every letter.

Julia helped make some decorations (#4) and I printed a bunch of my favorite fall photos for all my frames. (#1&#6)

My goal was to avoid scary and stay more along the lines of creepy. We had a house full of kids so they really got a kick out of all our specimen jars #7 & #9) Since we have animal lovers in our house we already had quite a collection of snakes and spiders already. I picked up a few rubber mice at Target to round out our collection. They all floated to the top of the jar of water, but we fixed that problem by tucking fishing sinkers into some of them. Goodwill was a good source for interesting looking glass jars. That's also where I got the BOO sign for our mantel (#10). This was the first time I allowed ghosts into our home and be the extent of our ghost decorations besides the adorable footprint ghosts (#17) that I hung in our entry way based on this post.


I already had ruby slippers so all I had to do is stuff a dollar store pair of knee high socks with newspaper and tuck the tops under our play house (#6).  Using leftover black spray paint from when I made he ghost sign, I sprayed the word "EEK" to add to a ledge in our bathroom where I had stuck more bats (#5).  The tub for drinks (#19) was easy to transform into a silly monster with some foam core and pipe cleaners. I liked to have unexpected elements as well so we did more than just carve some of the pumpkins (#18) Food was easy as we provided soup and everyone else brought appetizers. I made cute signs for the drinks (#15) Witches Brew was coffie, Vampire punch was read punch, & Spider Cider was hot apple cider.


My favorite decoration was the one I didn't have to take down - the mantel fabric garland. (#10 & #13) I purposely chose colors that could stay up through thanksgiving. At the time I made this one, I didn't have a rotary cutter, but I have since learned my lesson.



I had so much fun at the party I forgot to take very many pictures but I did get the girl cousins with grandma in their matching pj's and our dog Conor in his 'bad dog' costume.









It was a very happy halloween for the Chronicles of Narnia crew - Susan (me), Peter, (Sam), Edmond, (PapaBear), Lucy (Julia), and Aslan the lion (Elsa)
Do you have any Halloween traditions?



Pin It

Comments

  1. That looks like an awesome party! Despite the budget constraints, you were able to celebrate the Halloween in a fashionable manner. And I think the trick is to make use of what you have, especially for the decorations. You can save money and still make your party fabulous and awesome. And you can make it fun by throwing some scavenger hunt games, just like what you did. Good job on organizing! I hope that your next party is as marvelous as this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"How can I help?"

So many have asked how they can help MckMama and her family during this difficult time and so I've set up a Care Calendar to help coordinate meals for the family. MckMama is coordinating childcare on her end, but you can contact me for the rest. Please leave me a comment in this message and I will contact you with more information on the Care Calendar as soon as I am able. Please be sure I can get in touch with you through your blog and/or an email address. Thank you for covering my dear friend and her family with prayers!

Elsa's Birth Story

The morning of July 1st started out like all the other mornings this summer. The kids let me sleep until 7:30 and then came in to wake me up. We ate breakfast and I started picking up around the house. We had spent the previous day at the town pool and because the heat index was going to be just as high again we made plans to go to our beach. The kids really wanted to practice their swimming skills but I didn't want to have to pay for the pool again. At 8:30 I lost my mucus plug and my brain started running a mile a minute. Could this mean we're getting close? Could I actually go early for a change?I turned to Google and learned that labor could be hours or days away. I feel I should warn you - if you decide to Google mucus plug be prepared to see photographic proof. Why people felt the need to post pictures to Google images is beyond me!  Moving on..... Just in case I ended up being one of the lucky ones who only had hours to wait until labor started I kept up with my clean

Shabby Apple Giveaway!

Spring is in the air and that means it's time to start thinking about changing over our closets from Winter to Spring. I don't know about you, but that also means it's time to look for a few new pieces to bring new life to what I wear year after year. Today I can make that job a little more fun for you because Shabby Apple is sponsoring a giveaway on my blog! Yeah!!!! I had so much fun looking through their collection of women's dresses and don't even get me started on their adorable line of little girl's dresses ! It's a whole new ballgame for me now that I'm going to have TWO girls to dress. In the end I decided to pick this beauty called Azure Coast to giveaway to one lucky reader because us mom's are always buying things for our kids before ourselves. I just might have to pick up one for myself in time to wear for BabyBear's baptism this summer. It's perfect for nursing moms! Want to win one for yourself? See below , but if you d