Friday, May 27, 2011

In the dark

My first day of vacation/maternity leave didn't go according to plan. Sure I got the kids off to school, cleaned the kitchen, and had a chance to rest and put my feet up for a few minutes before starting on the laundry -  but in the next moment everything changed. I got up to let the dog outside and either peed my pants or my water broke. When I checked and instead saw blood our day went in a completely different direction.  I called my clinic who returned my call within five minutes. (yet it felt like five YEARS!) then called my husband to see if he was close enough to pick up Julia from her last day of preschool. 

He wasn't, so I grabbed a couple of movies for her to watch at the hospital with me. I went into survival mode, grabbing the hospital bag - mostly so I could have my chargers & toothbrush if I ended up staying.  When I got to Julia's school, her awesome teacher said to leave her, that she would take care of her. She ended up spending some time in the kindergarden room and had lunch with her brother. It was nice to know she was in good hands and I could focus on figuring out what was going on with my pregnancy.  It was also a good trial run for when labor starts for that matter! We have family close by but we are prepared for the chance that the kids just might have to come with us to the hospital and our family meet us there to take over their care.

I sent out a tweet that I was bleeding and that I was waiting for the doctor to call me back. Once I made it to the hospital and was in the waiting area I sent out another one, followed by a few more updates as the morning turned into afternoon. I had an ultrasound - placenta looked good.I'm dilated to a 1, but not having contractions. They wanted to monitor me for 4 hours - baby looked good on the monitors.  Had a speculum exam - cervix is fine, must be placenta.  Yet it wasn't until I was discharged (at 6pm) and was home for an hour that my phone gave me the message that NONE of my follow up tweets had actually been sent!  Talk about leaving you in the dark! I am so sorry about that! I was able to read your messages of hope and encouragement and have a sense of peace because I knew people were praying. It was also very reasuring to hear her heartbeat on the monitor the whole time.

Today (through Tuesday) I am on modified bed rest. Today also happens to be our 10 year wedding anniversary, not that we had anything planned. Fridays I see PapaBear for 30 minutes between jobs so we already had low expectations for this year. We're just grateful that BabyBear is fine and keeps kicking away at my ribs. I've savored every single kick this pregnancy and now they are a constant remind that her environment for the time being is still safe.  Why is my placenta bleeding? We don't know. We're in the dark on that one too!


  1. I missed all of this yesterday but I'm so glad that things are still looking good! I'll be praying!

  2. I am so glad that everything with you and BabyBear is okay! Take the rest and keep on savoring those kicks and rolls.

  3. Praying for you, friend. Glad everything is ok today!

  4. Praying for you! Take it easy this weekend.

  5. I had Snug at 34 weeks, so if for some reason they need to take the baby, you should be "safe". Praying for you and "Baby Hope".

  6. I am so glad that you home and resting and doing well. That had to have been so scary! I saw your first tweet but then we went camping and I couldn't get any updates! I was praying and thinking of you though! Hugs :)


School Spirit Beanie Crochet Pattern

Beat those winter blues and cold winds with this a FLEECE lined brimmed hat! It seems like everyone is wearing a beanie these days - me in...